Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Whistle While You Work

"Just whistle while you work
and cheerfully together we can tidy up the place
So hum a merry tune
It won't take long when there's a song
to help you set the place"


The last week of school, we had a rain forest worth of papers (of which I've yet to sort through throw out recycle).  Another assignment: cleaning the tote tray.  Dutifully, I added dish soap and guided him to the deck.  It was basically giving him soap, water in a tub, and our blessing to have a blast.  His incentive: to add 5, that's right FIVE marbles in the marble jar (a currency for first graders).  Enjoy the pics.  

Hard at work.  

For once, looking DIRECTLY at me (for a picture).  

How fabulous is that red underwear band?  So stinkin' cute! Oh, and that step stool - not just for him, it's home resides in our pantry, and I use it for the top shelf of the pantry AND cabinets - yes, the joy of being short. 

I will give him this: when he's feeling generous - he's incredibly helpful - as helpful as you'll allow!

Confession Time: When I was in first grade, I too, had to clean my tote tray.  The teachers instructed us to use a lot of elbow grease.  My mom added dish soap and sent me outside.  Before making my way out the door, I remembered: I needed elbow grease.  So, I stopped and asked her for  some elbow grease.  My mom laughed a good 5 minutes, AND let my dad in on the joke (in between trying to catch her breath) before explaining the laughter.  I, on the other hand, didn't think it was nearly as funny as they did.  To this day, I still think there should be a  household cleaner or cleaning business named: Elbow Grease.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment