Monday, May 21, 2012

Thank God I'm a Country Boy


Thank God I'm a Country Boy Girl.  Technically, I'm not country at all.  It makes for a good blog title, no?

 (Read in valley girl voice) Like, I'm from Plano, so, I don't know about country things, or country ways, but you can ask my mom, 'cause like, she grew up on a farm.  If she doesn't know, we can call my Grandpa, and he'll know for sure.

When I was a teenager, I jumped at the chance to go with my cousins to feed their pigs.  Their farm experiences were so different from my own in Plano.  (This was also the first time I drove down a dirt road, in a truck, without power steering.  Apparently, you're not supposed to do 80 m.p.h, down a dirt road.  Something about it being dangerous?)

Saturday, my friend and I took our kids to R & C Dairy and Farmstead.  We picked strawberries and blackberries.  We had a great time.  Now, I don't want this to be my daily job, but definitely once a year!  It was so peaceful.  The boys had a BLAST.. We were filthy afterwards, but it was worth it.  The berries?  Freakin' DELISH!!  I didn't know (some) blackberry bushes have thorns.  We didn't bring gloves, so we toughed it out, reaching for the berries with ninja precision.

Let's discuss John Denver for a moment:  I love John Denver, and I'm not ashamed.  That's right, I said it!  Is it because he performed with the Muppets?  Partly, but mainly because his songs are linked to great memories.  My cousins and I would chasse (sha-say) in a circle holding hands to Thank God I'm a Country Boy and Grandma's Feather bed.  My grandma would smile with bated breath, trying to enjoy the moments of childhood delight, and not think about the china that was also jumping in her china cabinet.  No china was ever harmed during one of these hootenannies, and to this day, it makes us cousins smile.

During my grandma's funeral, I watched cousin Denny's wife Shirley walk up to a boom box and push play.  I'm drained emotionally, wondering what song had been left out of Grandma's service?  Then it happened: John Denver's Grandma's Feather Bed came over the speaker, and I couldn't help but bust out laughing.  Next thing you know, all of us cousins were laughing at a funeral. I think it's exactly how Grandma would've wanted it.

We got the farm information from this website:  PickYourOwn.org

Here's a few pictures from our berry (ba-dum-bum) fun adventure.

Liam picking the goods.

Showing off his 'perfectly shaped' strawberry.

Showing off his goods.


In the blackberry bushes, right before the batteries died.

Last night, J & I put the berries on our ice cream... it was heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment