Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Boys are Back in Town

Guess who just got back today?
Them wild-eyed boys that had been away
Haven't changed, haven't much to say
But man, I still think them cats are crazy




I don't like to brag, BUT....
Last week, I had the ENTIRE week off (and I don't mean Monday - Friday, I'm talking Sunday through Sunday.  My AMAZING, SELFLESS, TIRELESS, SAINT of a mother in law ASKED (yep, you read that correctly - SHE ASKED if the boys could spend the week with her & Pop-Pop.  What could I say?  I don't want to disappoint the sweet woman, so, I did what any selfless mother would do: I had my husband pack their clothes, and we said YES!
  
Did I get the boys' rooms cleaned out and organized?  
Did I get my projects completed? 
Did I get my craft room cleaned out & organized?

I didn't do much of anything; LOVED every minute of it!  Know what else? I didn't feel a snitch guilty, either!  See, I don't feel bad for taking care of myself.  Growing up, I distinctly remember my mom leaving for some 'her' time; when I'd ask to accompany, it was an unapologetic: No!  Know what?  I totally get that!  I realized early on (in motherhood), if I didn't take care of myself, I had little to give.  I love those boys too much, to neglect myself.  


My advice to new mothers: Take care of yourself without guilt.  As mothers, we take/feel enough guilt for 3 lifetimes. (We can cover that in another blog post, aptly named; Crucify    


What did J & I do?  We reconnected.  Turns out, I still really like him. :)  We watched the Olympics, went to a few movies, drank our dinner (not every night), and laughed.  I know a week without kids isn't practical for every couple, but I highly recommend a few kid-less nights, every once in a while.  

The first verse of Thin Lizzy's song: Boys are Back in Town, describes today.  They walked in, gave us obligatory hugs, and fell right into normal.  They haven't changed - don't have much to say (unless you're talking Legos & superheroes).  While I loved my vacation, I'm glad my boys are back in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment