Friday, April 13, 2012

Sowing the Seeds of Love


Front beds: the biggest project I tackled during Lent.

I had NO idea how much I would love working in my flower beds.  If I would've known, I would've studied landscape architecture in college.  It's one of the few times, this girl-y girl, doesn't mind sweating, bugs, or dirt under my nails.

As it turns out, my thumb is pretty green.  My mom has gardened (flowers, not vegetables) for years. I don't remember helping her, but I do remember admiring her work.  Her backyard is always a delightful place to have a glass (or few) of wine.  My father in law has a green thumb too.  My in-laws back yard is peaceful, and relaxing.  [I'm beginning to get inspiration for the back yard.  I still have a few more things to plant in the front before tackling the back yard.]

Last year, I had the HUGE obnoxious shrubs cut down, and all stumps ground up.  I planted a few things, had a few things die, AND had several bulbs return this spring.  The gladiolus, and day lilies have returned, but haven't bloomed yet.  The sweet alyssum, and wisteria smell amazing.  Also, returning: my Spanish Lavender and Hot Lips Salvia.  (I really like the Spanish lavender as opposed to the English Lavender.  Personally, I think the English Lavender smells yuck.)

All the flowering plants I planted are either pink, purple or blue.  I also want perennial, scented flowers - I know how 'Real Housewives of OC/Beverly Hills' this sounds, but (exhale) here I go: I want my house to be a pleasant experience.  I want to greet you with beautiful scented flowers.  ~ There I said it.  I know it sounds stupid, and frou frou-y, so I'll own it. - but it still makes me happy, so there.

I also wanted to attract birds, hummingbirds, and butterflies.  I've accomplished that.  The other day, I pulled up to the house, and a butterfly accosted greeted me as I was exiting the door.  I'm quite sure, it was thanking me for all the beautiful flowers I've planted.  You can see tiny bugs hovering above the sweet alyssum (smells really good) - they're teeny tiny bumble bees.

What? That sign? Oh yeah, did I not mention, I was Hughston Elementary Volunteer of the Month? I think the sign adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the flowers.  

The amaryllis (left) was absolutely heavenly.  The blooms were literally bigger than my hand.  

A returning perennial: Pink Guara.  Loves full sun.
Gardening has a dark side, too.  
WARNING: the next photograph contains a graphic crime scene.  Viewer Discretion is advised.  

 Bailey Gardner vs. Minor
case no. 03222012
A murdered amaryllis bud.  The murderer was charged with plant slaughter .  Pre-meditation did not seem to be a factor in this case, rather negligent behavior.  The minor charged (we won't identify him due to his minor status, [it was the eldest of the blog author]) plead guilty, and was placed on probation from running through the flower beds, and climbing the crepe myrtle trees. No further actions have been taken.  The amaryllis doesn't plan on re-blooming this year, and is expected to make a full recovery next spring.   


Over Easter weekend, we went to the lake, and visited an amazing nursery in Tyler: Chamblee's Rose Nursery.

a FABULOUS rose nursery

It was hard to make a decision.  I've planted 2 roses in the backyard planters (for now) - pictures to follow later.  I foresee more visits to this nursery, as the backyard landscaping begins.

Confession: I've been dive-bombed by a crow.  I was 'stopping to smell the roses' on Tech campus, and a huge crow did not appreciate me bothering his rose bush.  He dive bombed several times and tried to peck at me.  I looked like a lunatic ducking and running, trying to escape.  It was quite traumatic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment