Friday, July 29, 2011

Electric Youth

The phone rings.  (sigh) the cordless is not right next to me, and I'm really comfy on my bed.  I'd better go see who it is, or my cell phone will be next, and I don't know where that is either.  Naturally, I answer right when the caller hangs up. I call back.

Amy "tell me you're watching GMA"
Jenn "Uh, no, hold on, let me change it (changes channel) - OOOHHHH...THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME KNOW!! I WOULD'VE MISSED THIS!!"

What I hear next, I know the words, but I can't remember who sang it, why do I know these words, (flipping through the file cabinet that I call my brain) -- DEBBIE GIBSON, "oh oh.... It was only in my dream, as real as it may se -e em, it was only in my dream, a whoa oh, a whoa oh"

That's right: Debbie Gibson AND Tiffany performing on GMA promoting their upcoming tour! (I guess it deserves an exclamation mark?)  I felt a bit conflicted seeing the former teen idols performing.

Hearing the song takes me back: I have keds in every color (sometimes with two different socks, switched, thank you very much).  This time was prior to pop's death, and grunge's birth.  This was before we started wearing birkenstocks, Docs*** , and borrowing our dad's flannel shirts.  This was before I was worried about boys paying attention to me, and before we knew how brood teen angst, we were bopping around our rooms giving concerts to our mirrors.  We were little girls - excited for a friday night sleep over and an episode of Full House (oh, I know, I said it~ and yes, I thought Uncle Jesse was soo cute!).  I admit it, I liked their music.  My dad was probably pleased I was singing some sappy pop song instead of Madonna's Papa Don't Preach {Which I had NO idea what that song was about until much later*}.  My only problems in life were not having a bow to perfectly match my outfit, or conflict of sleepovers!

I'm having trouble with Debbie Gibson outfit (white booty shorts, with a garter on the left leg?, a lime ruched crop top, and fushia boa cuff?)  She looks fantastic, I mean FANTASTIC.. She does, BUT, BUT.... should we be trying or dressing like we did back in the day?  I've always heard the fashion rule, "If you've done one trend once, don't do it again." I realize sometimes it's hard not to, but I just think there's a time and place for everything, and her time was back in 1989, and the place was at the MALL..  Poor Tiffany was looking a little rough around the edges.  She looked like she should be touring with Stevie Nicks/ Heart, rather than Debbie Gibson.  She was wearing her chiffon-y dress with a leather vest, and ankle boots.  I just think Debbie's stylist has some work to do - there's got to be a happy medium.  I know there is.  Do you think Debbie still wears Electric Youth Perfume, while on tour?  I remember being chased by bees when I would wear that perfume.. Seriously, the bees followed you.

Here's my take on the midsection thing:  If I get to the point where I feel like it's safe to show off my midsection regularly, I'm hoping that I'll be satisfied enough KNOWING I COULD, but having the restraint NOT to.  Had my bellybutton not been tormented by two pregnancies in 17 months, maybe I would be wearing a bikini with out a second thought.  I just can't bring myself to wear a bikini on a regular basis without fear of mentally scarring others.  Maybe I'm just jealous.. it's totally possible.

Lastly, why I'm happy I'm not famous:  I don't have to sing the same songs that over and over again, so I can get a paycheck.  If I get sick of a song on my iPod with two thousand something songs, they MUST get tired of their selection.

Despite my fashion rips on them, they sounded great, and I smile remembering a happy,  more simple, and innocent time of my life.  Thanks for the flashback.  I just might watch Back to the Future tonight. 

Since we're back in the 80's today, here's a laugh for you: Me circa 1989.
Those are some nice short-alls. -  the acid wash really adds a nice touch, don't ya think?!
also, please note the matching white bow!


Those are jams, and a coke t shirt earned by turning tabs in.. remember that?!

** I have a memory of singing Papa Don't Preach out loud in my room.  The next thing I know is my dad standing in the doorway, asking me if I know what this song means.. I shrugged, "No, why?" -

***BTW, Dani, I don't think I ever returned the Doc Martens I borrowed from you when we were at Vines, and I'm really sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment