Monday, February 13, 2012

A Quickie Quillow: eewwww....????

First of all, I don't like the word Quillow.  It goes on the list of words I dislike:
Some other words on the list;
DONGLE, QUILLOW, SPRIVA,SWANK,MIRTH
it goes on, but those are just a few.

So, I call this, a travel pillow/blanket.

Materials Needed:
Fleece (~ 1 3/4yds)
Fabric for the Square (~ 20")
Thread
Sewing Machine

I found this fabulous Marimekko fabric at the Crate & Barrel outlet for $2.95/yard!! SCORE!!
(My fleece was 50% off at Joanns so, I paid $9.00 for the fleece)I laid the fabric out.  I then trimmed it so it measured (48'x60')

I measured 19" square, allowing for 1/2" seam allowance.  I then sewed  the two square pieces together (right sides together, so I would have a finished square on both sides.  (When the pillow was folded, as well as in blanket form- 'cause i'm anal like that.)  Leave a small opening on one part of the square, so you can turn it right sides out, to pin onto the fleece.
I measured ~ 15" to pin the pocket to the center of the fleece. (Placing the finished square on the topside of the fleece.)
The pocket pinned, next is the sewing machine.

Just a view of the pocket being sewn onto the fleece.  (You might need to adjust the dogfeed, as it tends to grab the fleece.)
To fold the finished quillow: Place pocket side down, fold one edge towards the center.  Repeat with the other side.
Both sides folded in, ready to fold down the middle.  Then turn inside out, placing blanket inside the pocket.

The finished project.  It's a rather flat pillow, however the convenience is fantastic.  These will make the trip to Nebraska for Spring break for sure!  I bought some cool fabric to make the boys one as well.

It's an easy project.  The longest part for me is the measuring.. Ugh..
Try it out, let me know how it worked out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment