Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pink streak for the cause


Pink streak in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

     I love any opportunity to do something fun and funky to my hair.  While I realize that a streak won't help cure cancer, it can help make people aware.  I'm one of 'those' people that is of the opinion: "It's just hair."  I had a friends' mom say to me, "Only people with good hair say that."  hmmm.. while I can't say I have 'good' hair.  I can say, I have a LOT of it.  I will also say, I love having it cut short, then I love the wait of growing it back out.  Jeremy NEVER knows what he might come home to.  It's one aspect I fully enjoy being a girl and having options.  

     On a more serious note: While I was in there I witnessed an act of strength, courage and sisterly love.  My hair stylist's (a close family friend, Kathy) sister (Suzy) has cancer.  While I was processing (hair-ese for letting the color process), Suzy came in to have her head shaved.  Kathy did so, tenderly, and meticulous like you would expect a sister too.  I was so proud of both of them.  I can't imagine how hard it must have been for Kathy to take the clippers to Suzy's head.  So, while I say 'it's just hair', at the same time, it's hair, and NOT having it is a cruel reminder how cancer invades our lives.   It reminds me how precious my family and friends are to me.  It reminds me to not take time spent together with friends and family for granted.  It reinforces my un-wavering belief in the Lord above, and His master plan for all of us. I know we will all be reunited in a perfect, healthy heavenly body that my tiny human brain can't even begin to comprehend.  

     This week has flown by.  I knew it was going to be a busy one.  If I'm not mistaken, next week will be even busier.  Can I just say, I understand why the 'Real Housewives' always have assistants.  It's not possible to get everything done with just one person.   

1 comment: